Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 763: she asked me for a cat, i gave her thunder

i need a new word for the tsunami in my chest
for the tornado turning my stomach inside out
with the storm caught behind your goodbye
i know the sky aint falling
but the stars
on the nights i cannot sleep
seem to be crashing down
with every time you blink
every time i think
you might be leaving me behind

i've learned so many things about distance
but none of them seem to describe the way you hold every part of my body ransom in your absence
none of them seem to comfort me
none of them seem to make the sun spin any faster
everything about us is counting down
6 hours in your morning
6 in my evening
45 days til you are standing at an arms distance
til i can feel the depth of your laugh against the hallow chest
the stutter of you smile the way it traces craters on my vocal chords

show me where you keep your tears
ill show you how to make my body move
and bend for you
how every cell
can be rebuilt
to honor the castle in your collarbone
the sand storm behind your eyes
the song in your kiss
dance in your fingertips

this is my poem for the night
the evening
the part of my day
i spend alone
trying to rock myself to sleeep to the residue of our conversations
the smoke melting into the skyline
just a reminder that something was passing through
too fast to hold on
too poweful to even try pretending
that its absence
inst a propeller
tearing every bit of me to
confetti

you asked me to hold you
and i drempted a million nights into 8 ours of my arms tracing stories into your skin
you asked for the ocean
and i took a handful of my home and mailed it to you across the pacific
you asked for a cat
and i gave you a thousand thundering nights in my yes
a promise
that i will burn a candle into morning
trying to fulfill every request
yes
yes
yes
its true
i've got a broken heart
and two hands that havent been held properly in months
but theres 80% of me still left in my chest
its yours
if you want it

2 comments:

  1. This has got to be the most beautiful thing I have read in months.
    I would give u my favorite lines but my phone is being a jerk. I'll do it tomorrow morning in my English class, in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite lines:

    "you asked me to hold you
    and i drempted a million nights into 8 ours of my arms tracing stories into your skin"

    "its true
    i've got a broken heart
    and two hands that havent been held properly in months
    but theres 80% of me still left in my chest
    its yours
    if you want it"

    ReplyDelete