Thursday, February 21, 2013

day 21: the hula deity


while i seek him
lohiau
kāne with the kapu kino
i send songs into the ʻāīna before me
scripture composed to the rhythm of your pahu

the men and women hear me coming 
tprepare puaʻa, kalo, luʻau for me to feast
i eat the tender leaves and continue
eager to return to you

the moʻo 
insist on making an impression
fling their tongues in my directions
flail their bodies as to hint at my destruction
but all those who test will fall defeated

I have finally arrived to find the kapu man dead
i send my voice first 
it lands on the ears of friendly hosts
they claim i am the diety of their dance
the akua they marvel to for this movement 
and yet 
they forget you
they do not see the showdown your palms left 
pressed against my hips
nor do they feel the cool brush of wind to the sweat collected between our skins
the are stranger to you
and i wonder 
how they might call themselves dancers
and not know your name
not have felt the press of your pooh to their hips
they call me their akua
their kumu
and all i can do is wonder 
if i have spent enough time in your arms 
in the center of your swaying scripture
to be worthy of this praise 

No comments:

Post a Comment