Friday, July 19, 2019

10 ways I have been loved this ʻanahulu



1 

Every morning Līlīnoe sends her simmering skin to me 

And as she arrives 

I am reminded of the blessing of wai 


2

loads of laundry 

Washed 

folded 

And delivered 


3

“Do you need a hot shower” 

Offers from strangers

For comfort and warmth 


4 

“Have you eaten” 

“Are you drinking enough water”

The most romantic question I have ever been asked 


5 

Her hands 

Shoulder

Hips 

And forehead 

All the ways we curl into each other’s orbit 


6 

The simplicity of our effortless three part harmony 

Mele Hawai’i 

Mo’olelo 

And all the songs that comfort the soul 


7

Dozens of Kapu aloha kia’i 

Walking the pu’uhonua 

24 hours a day 

To keep us safe 

Smiles constantly unfolding from the corners of their face 


8


9

Ho’ohōkūkalani’s dance across the evening sky 



10

every sunrise and sunset 

In the malu of a mountain

That loves me to my Piko 

Uncle opening every morning in ceremony 

E ala e 

With the expanding tenor of his voice 

We are readied 

No comments:

Post a Comment