Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 1: The Hiapo await her siblings



When I awake
I am cold at the center
Some of my edges cool from the chill of the pacific
I feel a stillness settling in the water
I wonder how long I might be alone
Until I feel a quake
Something has changed
I am no longer the only infant to this ocean
ʻAʻole

There is a sister
Her head turned away
I see only the bridge of her back
I cry out to her
Hoping to carry her name on my lips
Hoping to bridge this blue between us
She does not move

All at once i remember the calm
silence before her
how this silence is not the same
see her make it lonelier

another shake cracks at the base of my chest
he is long
his red edges bleeding into the sea
I worry for the dark ring around him
Wonder how our mother continues without notice

1, 2, 3, and then more are born
but they all stay silent
the ocean calms
and I am alone
learning the depth of pō


Jamaica Osorio


No comments:

Post a Comment