Sunday, January 19, 2014

I am fire (in response to Noʻu Revilla's, "I am Reptile")

I am fire.
Heat personified

I am center of earth. Land beginning.
Moving
I make the wet in you
Rise to steam
Leaving a reminder
A sign to those close enough to hear the sizzle whisper
of your skin to my burning surface

I welcome your intrigue
And wait for our rupture
As you come close
I compose a kindling song
to warm your icy veins

I wonder
How to cool this flame
To a tinder
How to soften myself
My heat
To hold you

I envy the hard edges of pōhaku
The ones swept under your slime
I know, one without edges
Like me
Cannot be touched for long

I try to make a deal with the ʻiliʻili at the base of your pond
I am an impersonation of solid matter
Under you
Breathing
Heavy. Mortal like.
As you begin to rise
I Imagine a fire that could
melt itself into solid body
forever

But I cannot be anything other than this boundless passion
Reaching
for you

Perhaps
Instead
You can learn to swim
In fire






No comments:

Post a Comment